Settling into a routine now that a new job has been incorporated into the mix has proved to be a bit of a struggle, especially after having worked as an at-home freelancer for 2 and a half months. So, when it comes to DIY projects here at the house, I’ve been keeping an eye out for simple tutorials that have great impact without sucking up too much precious time. Today’s “Pinspiration” project fit all of my needs, and left me with a little something special to gaze at.
Source: Two Twenty One
The concept is as simple as it looks – Take a glass vase, tape off the bottom and spray paint the heck out of it with metallic paint. Fill with water, add a bunch of flowers and you have a very pretty, swanky new vase to take center stage.
- Glass vase
- Gold spray paint (I used Valspar Metallic in gold)
- Masking tape
- Plastic bag
To mask my vase, I carefully wrapped a line of masking tape around the middle of the glass vessel, putting my “stop” line about 4 inches from the bottom. I just eye balled the line as I went, making sure that it didn’t get too wonky or uneven. Once the demarcation line was masked, I slipped the plastic bag over the top and taped that to the vase, taking care not to go beyond my initial clean line of tape.
After that, it was moment of truth time – I took the masked vase outside and gave it a few quick and even coats of the gold spray paint. Then I carefully removed the masking tape and plastic bag to reveal the clean edge. There were a FEW bleed marks from where the tape puckered up a bit during masking so, if you try this at home, do your best to smooth out all of the wrinkles in your tape. Luckily, it was nothing a razor blade couldn’t clean up after the paint dried (which I still need to do).
Once the paint was fully dried and cured (I waited until the next day), I turned it right side up, filled it with water and added two bunches of alstroemeria. I love the way the gold looks, turning my boring glass vase into something really special. My only regret is that I didn’t take the gold up higher. If I redid this project, I would probably come up at least 6 inches from the bottom instead of just 4. Live and learn!
I still love the look and can’t wait to plop these pretties on my desk at work this morning.
Have a great Monday!