With back-to-school season in full swing (is anyone still on break at this point?), I’ve had a blast wandering up and down the school supply aisles at places like Target and our local grocery stores. From pastel colored pens and rulers, to floral print folders, I’m obsessed and really kinda jealous of those of you who have a classroom to go to this semester.
One supply in particular that seems to be everywhere right now is an over-the-door shoe holder. Owning one is practically a prequisite to heading off to college after all, so if you happened to pick one up, I’m sharing 10 alternative uses for this handy organization accessory that don’t involve your 12 pairs of rotating ballet flats.
(P.S. Although this post is definitely NOT sponsored, I just wanted to mention in case you were wondering that my teal polka dot holder came from Target and cost just $3!)
10 Alternative Uses For An Over-The-Door Shoe Holder
- Magazines: Demonstrated in today’s post!
- Beauty products: Try organizing by occasion (think: bold makeup colors for a girl’s night out, masks for a girl’s night in, emergency face cleansers for when blemishes form, etc.)
- School supplies: Extra pens, pencils, erasers, and the like
- Plants: Just fill with dirt and plant your plants (cacti and succulents are best since they need minimal watering)
- Hair accessories: Anything from straighteners and blow dryers, to hair ties and headbands
- Electronics cords: Never scramble to find your phone charger, laptop cord, or extra TV cables again
- Cutlery: I remember always having the hardest time organizing my forks, knives, and spoons while living in a dorm—I wish I had had this idea back then!
- Cold weather accessories: Scarves, gloves, and knit hats
- Labeled mail catcher: Sort your and your roommate’s mail with ease
- Cleaning supplies: Window cleaner, wood polish, microfiber towels—you get the idea
After shooting the photos and animation for this post, I rehung my own over-the-door shoe holder in our bathroom, and currently have it playing host to my overflow beauty supplies. The moral of the story? You definitely don’t need to be a student to put this type of organizer to good use! So, which alternative idea is your favorite?
I just love the way you styled this, Carrie, especially with the cute photos clipped to it! And I don’t know why but I had never thought of using one for winter accessories, I will definitely be implementing that strategy in our entryway this year!
Awww, thanks, Marlene!! I’m so thrilled you like how it turned out, and that it was helpful to you, too 🙂 xo!